Ancelotti Threatens Real Madrid Boycott Of FIFA Club World Cup

Carlo Ancelotti says Real Madrid will refuse to participate in next year's expanded FIFA Club World Cup.

Jun 10, 2024 - 13:15
 0  48
Ancelotti Threatens Real Madrid Boycott Of FIFA Club World Cup

Ancelotti has cited a lack of financial incentive as the reason although Real Madrid as a club have not officially communicated their position on the matter.

Real Madrid will be one of 12 European clubs who will feature in the 32-team tournament due to be held in the USA in June and July 2025.

Los Blancos won their 15th Champions League title with victory over Borussia Dortmund earlier this month.

"FIFA can forget it, footballers and clubs will not participate in that tournament," Ancelotti, 65, told Italian newspaper Il Giornale.

"A single Real Madrid match is worth 20 million and Fifa wants to give us that amount for the whole cup. Negative. Like us, other clubs will refuse the invitation."

Manchester City are the current holders of the FIFA Club World Cup.